Thursday, April 23, 2009

Spring Break Road Trip

For the past few years, the Mattingley cousins have converged on Nana and Grandpa's house for Spring Break fun, and this year was no exception. Jason had to stay and work, so the kids and I left him in the charge of the gerbil and the fish and took off on our own.

The kids love this electrical box in Nana's front yard! It was used as a Jedi jail, home base for tag, and even for painting fingernails!

We surprised Nana with an early birthday party...

...and had an Easter egg hunt.

And what would Spring Break be without a ride on the Metro? We've decided the kids care more about riding the Metro than the actual destination! Here they are lined up at the station, ready to go.

Why sit when you can stand? Notice the lack of other passengers nearby. There's something about a group traveling with that many kids that sends people either to the opposite end of the train or to another car altogether. (In their defense, the kids were very well behaved.)

Here's our group on The Mall in DC headed towards one of the Smithsonian museums.

Julia and Courtney checking out a giraffe at the Museum of Natural History...

...and looking down at the elephant in the foyer. It was a lot more crowded than we expected, so we didn't end up staying too long.

We had a picnic lunch on The Mall...

followed by tag for some...

and digging in the dirt for others.

The Mattingley cousins

There are four missing (partying elsewhere for Spring Break) and one on the way, due to arrive later this year.

8 comments:

Cheri said...

What cute pictures! I love it when cousins can get together like that.

Kelli Brewer said...

one on the way, due to arrive later this yearOh hey! That's me! :)

Stephanie said...

What fun! We miss having cousins close. I'm so glad that you make the effort to do this. The kids will always remember it!

The Salinas Family said...

I have to laugh at Kelli's comment because I thought you were trying to announce something for a second! :) Then I remembered Kelli. It was a great week. Thanks for posting the pics, they made me smile

Sally said...

Fun weekend! For a moment, I also thought you were trying to announce something.

nana said...

I look forward to all of you coming each year. The pics are a great reminder of the time spent together. I still thought something was burning!!

Joel and Chelsey said...

I'm sure you guys caused quite a ruckus! We decided you must have been perpetuating rumors, what with Jared, a bunch of ladies, and a million kids. :) Looks like a fun time! Sorry we missed it.

The Driskill Family said...

Sounds like a fun Spring Break with the cousins! Nothing better than that!