Thursday, August 12, 2010

Rewind to June

So I've been a little negligent when it comes to blogging lately, and I'm pretty far behind, especially considering how busy the summer has been. And despite the temptation to do otherwise, I've vowed to catch up and get these memories posted. Truth be told, my scrapbooking fell by the wayside years ago, so sadly, this blog is now the main way we look back on our adventures. (Well, besides simply clicking thru endless pics on the computer...) So on that note, we'll jump back to June...

The music teacher at the girls' elementary school has the musical programs for the year assigned to specific grade levels, and it's the same year after year. (Some are more exciting than others.) Luckily for Alyssa, 4th grade means learning to play the recorder, and it's one the kids really look forward to - almost like a rite of passage. =)

(I should probably note that her concert was really in April, but I realized I forgot to blog it and threw it in here now.)

Then they put away their recorders and sang a few songs. (And no, Alyssa wasn't the only girl there, but she did somehow end up surrounded by boys.) =)

Here's Courtney singing at her concert. (This one really was in June.) Their school has a big International Night every year, and the 2nd graders are the designated entertainers. Despite Courtney's happy face, this would be one of the performances the kids don't get quite as excited about.

Note the attentive brother in the audience

Also that week was Jordan's final orchestra concert. And not just final because it was the end of the year - final because Jordan is switching to a different elective next year. It was a good two-year run, but violin just wasn't something he really loved. His heart belongs to the electric guitar.

The last week of school brought final awards ceremonies. Courtney received a special award for being the top reader for 2nd grade.

Then came Alyssa's award ceremony an hour later, and she received the award for being the top 4th grade reader! What a day!

6 comments:

Joel and Chelsey said...

Glad to see you're back to the blogging world! Looks like a fun start to summer. Congratulations to the girls on being such great readers! That's awesome!

The Salinas Family said...

I love that your girls love to read so much. I've tried with the boys with a little improvement but not to the extent of the girls...I keep telling myself its a boy thing to not like it.

Tricia said...

Somehow, I missed your last two posts- (your hand!!!) It's nice to catch up, and figure out what Debbie was talking about in that email! =)

Stephanie said...

Yea! Your kids are so talented and cool! I'm a back up blogger too... always backing up to something I missed. I love reading about your family!

Jeanine said...

Isn't blogging great!? I'm hooked too! I can relate with the scrapbooking falling by the way side -- I keep promising myself for the kids' sake that I WILL get caught up! Glad Jordan found an instrument he loves!

Sally said...

Congrats to the reading geniuses! They are girls after my own book loving heart.