Monday, August 10, 2009

Roommate Reunion!

It finally happened! After 15+ years (gasp!!), my beloved and fantastic group of friends from BYU (a.k.a. "the Slooks") were together again. We're still amazed we all made it since we're now scattered across the country (VA, WV, UT, NC, NM, ID, MN, and CA). The years melted away, and we laughed and reminisced for two days straight.

We spent the first day down in Provo - walking around campus, shopping at the bookstore, and generally looking like the group of 30-something women we now are. =)


Here we are in front of the library extension that didn't exist when we were on campus. Other than updated hair styles, we all look the same! (Well, except for that baby on Sally's back...)

After lunch at the Cougareat (which has gone from glorified cafeteria to full-blown food court), we headed down to our old apartment at Regency...

Other than the apartment number changing, things looked pretty much the same. Ahh the memories!

The BYU Creamery is now in a new location and looks totally different, but the ice cream is still the best (and so cheap)!

And what's more Provo than dinner at Los Hermanos?? =)

That nite, we had a slumber party (Jason finds this hilarious) at Trish's sister's house in Draper. (Thanks Melinda!!) We were all exhausted (since we're so old now and all), but we still talked well into the nite. Someone would bring up a silly memory, and we would laugh until we cried. I can't remember the last time I've laughed so long and so hard!

After a slow start the next morning, we headed up to Salt Lake. We saw the Joseph Smith movie at the Joseph Smith building...

...then had lunch at The Garden up top!

We walked around Temple Square and managed to jump in the constant procession of summer brides to snap this picture. =)

After dinner at Olive Garden that nite, we said our goodbyes. It was sad to see our little reunion come to an end. My college years were fun and crazy because of these friends. Late-nite trips to Hardee's for twist cones, shopping trips to Food 4 Less, group dates, Ramen noodles, too much confetti, stolen shower curtains, eating ice cream straight from the Creamery bucket, pulling all-niters for exams and finals - the memories are endless. It's rare to find a group of friends like this, and I love them dearly! Long live the Slooks!

P.S. A special thanks to my wonderful mother-in-law Shirley and sister-in-law Jodi who came down from VA to help with the kids while I was gone. And thanks to nephews Diego, Christian, and Anthony for tagging along to make sure my kids had so much fun, they didn't miss me at all!

10 comments:

The Salinas Family said...

It sounded like such a fun trip. I'm jealous! I'd love to get together with my old roomies. My boys were more than happy to come down and have some cousin time. They didn't want to come home! Glad you had fun.

Stephanie said...

That looks like so much fun! I'm so glad you got to do that! Maybe we should have a NC "playgroup" reunion when we turn the big 40 in a few years.

Joel and Chelsey said...

What a fun trip! I'm glad you got away, and enjoyed a little girl time. We can't wait to hear about your second beach vacation of the summer.

Kristie said...

Yay for Slookfest 2009! I'm still amazed that we made it happen after all those years of talking about it and the miles between us. You moms were such champs to leave the kidlets behind for a few days. I love my Slooks!

Kelli Brewer said...

Oh man - looking at Los Hermanos makes me miss that place SO much. That and Tucanos really make us miss Utah!

Glad you had a great time :)

nana said...

I love watching the kids you know that, and it's so fun to have those "special days" where anything goes!! Next time it's you and Jason that should go.

Sally said...

I so want to make a blog post about this trip. I miss you guys so much. But I am currently without internet access and will be unless I can find a provider that will hook us up w/o cable TV or w/o phone service (since we will only be here 3 mos or so). The night I went home to my sister's house after dropping you off I couldn't sleep all night because I was hit with a powerful nostalgia. Memories I thought I'd forgotten were bouncing in my head all night. Finally I got up and went for a jog and ended up jogging past Regency again!

Jeanine said...

Wow Karen, what a great reunion! Just reading your post triggered so many memories from my own BYU days. That is amazing your roommate group could make that happen! Yeah! And all too soon our own children will be having those fun experiences...

Cheri said...

Oh what fun! Someday I'll have to organize one of those trips...

The Driskill Family said...

You might not even see this comment because it's been so long since you posted it - but I'm going to comment anyway. I finally have a slow day to just look at my friends' blogs, and I purposely went back in time on yours to find these pictures. That was such a wonderful reunion!! I loved reconnecting with you guys, who I have thought of and missed so often over the years. Thank you for your friendship - both then and now!