Our ward has a strong devotion to the annual talent show, and it is usually quite the entertaining experience...for better and for worse. In years past, only Jordan has been brave enough to take the stage, but this year, our family was represented three times!
(And just to clarify, the lighting in the gym was pretty bad for pictures, so going black and white helps disguise my lacking photographic abilities in such conditions.)
This year, Jordan played two songs on the piano - "Hey There Delilah" and "Paralyzer." He did a great job and wasn't nervous at all. I'd question where he got the performing gene except I think the pictures below will make that quite clear...
By way of explanation, the previous bishop in our ward has a long history of ward talent show performances. One year he did an Elvis impersonation; another year he did Napoleon's dance from the movie "Napoleon Dynamite." Needless to say, the ward members have grown to expect an act from the Bishop - no matter who he is. In fact, the day Jason was set apart, one of the first things Jordan said afterwards was, "Hey Dad, now you have to do those funny things at the ward talent show." Expectations were high for Jason's debut.
For his first act, Jason was part of a Harry Potter skit reenacting a YouTube puppet show. (Here's the link if you want to see the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4) There was constant movement, so the picture isn't the greatest, but hopefully you get the idea. Snape was played by the stake president (our previous love-the-talent-show Bishop), Hermoine is our RS president, Ron (yes, he did the voice) is one of Jason's counselors, Dumbledore is the EQ president, and of course, Jason as Harry Potter - quite the cast. It was hilarious! Jason proved himself well.
Unbenownst to most, however, Jason had a second act - the grand finale. The skit was called "Don't Call the Bishop," and it followed a teenage band in their quest to find a lead singer for their talent show act. Having been counseled not to bother the Bishop with trivial matters, they wrestle with whether or not to call their YM president or perhaps a home teacher. In the end, however, they decide the matter is of such importance that only the Bishop can help. They call Jason (who is sitting in the audience with a microphone), and everyone hears their conversation and plea for help. Jason arrives at the church (ie: on stage) thinking he's merely there to offer counsel - only to discover they want HIM to be the lead singer. Jason steps off stage to think about it and bounds back in a few moments later ready to rock. He then belts out a surprisingly good rendition of "Surfin' USA," complete with rock-star moves and the audience joining in for the chorus. I'd brought some glow sticks, and the kids and I waved them in the crowd.
.jpg)
.jpg)
Comments from the crowd: "At first, I just thought he was lip synching, but then I realized he was ACTUALLY singing! I couldn't believe it! Who knew he could sing?" From the lead guitarist, "He had been a little off-key during practice, but man, he NAILED IT tonite!" And finally, from the former bishop, "I'd say the torch has been successfully passed."
Regrettably, the Bishop has explicitly banned posting the video of his Surfin' USA performance. Private home viewings may be available but only with the express written consent of the lead singer.
.jpg)
6 comments:
I think that you should bring it for Thanksgiving!!
MAN I miss you guys!!! That would have been fun to see!
Aww, I wanted to see it! Very creative idea!
What a fun night! I agree with anonymous and you should bring it for Thanksgiving. Maybe you could secretly download it to a dvd and on our shopping trip we can bust out the portable dvd player!!!! I'm sad though he didn't reprise his role of Michael Jackson. Oh, the memories! What talented men in your family. What happened to the girls? =)
Nice going! Dad and Mom! I agree with anonymous- let's bring it to thanksgiving!
Oh man! I was really looking forward to the video!
Post a Comment